Saturday, October 17, 2009

Assignment Three


View Dui Checkpoints Los Angeles in a larger map


For My Map, I chose to make a map of DUI checkpoints in the Los Angeles area over the past 6 weeks as listed on sources online, such as DUIblock.com. On the map, I made the DUI checkpoints visible as a red danger points. This, as the creator of the map, was my input into the map regarding the feelings I believe one would have if entering such points. Along the same line of this idea, I drew road directions avoiding these points in Green to give the notion of a less distressful ride home. I have include pictures of UCLA and LMU in certain points, and have posted videos. My videos encompass two sides, as there are two comical videos regarding DUIs and one serious advertisement against drunk driving.

My map displays the positives and negatives of Neography. A major negative is clearly seen in that my map aids people disobeying the law to get away with their dangerous actions. This is just one of many possible ways user created maps could be used to advance criminal activities. A positive of my map can be seen if this map is simply used to avoid traffic congestion provided by such checkpoints.

Another issue provided by my map can be seen in the dependability of my information. Due to my map, one may try a different path home that in fact has a new DUI checkpoint that has moved from a previous point on my map. As the creator, am I accountable for this? At a certain point, inaccurate information posted by users may lead to significant damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment